POLICY REGARDING COUPONS: We've recently received inquiries about providing coupons to people who are not customers of the paper. There are restrictions regarding how we distribute coupons, however, and we recently received the following message from a supplier outlining the limitations and our responsibilities. Thank you for your understanding.
NEWS AMERICA MARKETING
A NEWS CORPORATION COMPANY
May 6, 2011
PLEASE DELIVER TO THE PUBLISHER AND GENERAL MANAGER
TO THE PUBLISHER AND GENERAL MANAGER:
Due to the show "Extreme Couponing," there has been a significantly increased interest by the public in couponing recently. While we welcome the promotion of coupon usage, some episodes appear to portray shoppers using illegal methods to obtain and use coupons, including going to newspapers to obtain multiple copies of our SmartSource coupon inserts. News America Marketing needs your help and cooperation to protect this valuable product that is so important to your company and ours.
It is imperative that News America's strict security policy is followed 100% of the time. Please review the procedures below immediately and make sure that all appropriate people are aware of, and compliant with, the procedures. Failure to do so could result in your publication being dropped from our market list, and/or criminal prosecution.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation,
Senior Vice President Media
News America Marketing
NEWSPAPER SECURITY GUIDELINES
- Newspapers are required to verify and sign bill of lading that accompanies each shipment.
- Spine of inserts must be checked to ensure that the correct inserts have been received.
- Skids must be counted and weighed to confirm that the correct amount has been received.
- Any discrepancies must be reported to News America in writing immediately.
- All inserts must be stored in a designated, locked area. Only authorized personnel may access.
- Inserts are to be distributed in the following order of priority:
- All home delivered only circulation.
- Balance of Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA)
- Balance of Area of Dominant Influence (ADI)
- Single copy sales until supply is exhausted
- All spoilage or leftovers must be destroyed.
- It is illegal for any inserts not distributed in newspapers to be taken, given away or donated. Failure to comply will result in prosecution.
- Declarations of Performance must be completed and returned to News America electronically for every issue.
Payment will not be made to Newspapers without completed Declarations of Performance and Newspapers risk being dropped from our network.
The following information must be included in the Declaration of Performance.
News America Marketing is a member of the Audit Bureau of Circulation Coupon Distribution Verification Service (CDVS) Task Force and actively supports its efforts to insure coupon security at each newspaper. News America strongly recommends that newspapers become members of the CDVS and the IVS (Insert Verification Service.)
- Quantity Shipped
- Quantity Received
- Quantity Inserted
- Newspapers Gross Press Run
- Newspaper Net Paid Circulation
- Number of Newspapers unsold and returned
- Method of Destruction