|Area (SQ MI)||1,857||1,290||2,821||5,968|
|Source: 2000 U.S. Census Report|
Fort Drum has been a part of the north country for more than a century, having been founded in 1908 as Pine Plains. It became Pine Camp at the start of World War II, then Camp Drum in 1951 for Lt. Gen. Hugh A. Drum who commanded the First Army during World War II. The Army designated the post Fort Drum in 1974 after it assigned a permanent garrison there.