WATERTOWN — City police charged two residents with disorderly conduct after they allegedly fought on the 400 block of Gotham Street.
Police said Dianne M. Wood, 46, of 114 Franklin St., Apt. 405, and Bobbie Jo Hamm, 42, of 22673 Lewis St., fought a little after 4 p.m. Wednesday, and continued to do so after officers responded to the scene.
Charged at 4:42 p.m., they were released with appearance tickets for City Court.
Tony Stewart will return to Sprint Cup competition Sunday night at Atlanta Motor Speedway, ending a three-race hiatus after his car struck and killed a fellow driver during a dirt-track race.
The three-time NASCAR champion has not raced since Aug. 9, when he hit Port Leyden native Kevin A. Ward Jr. at a sprint car event in Canandaigua.
Stewart hastily pulled out of the NASCAR race at Watkins Glen the next morning, then skipped races at Michigan and Bristol Motor Speedway.
Stewart, who was described by police as “visibly shaken” the night of Ward’s death, has been in seclusion ever since. Stewart-Haas Racing executive vice president Brett Frood has said the emphasis was on giving Stewart time needed to get him “in a better place than he is.”
Stewart’s only comment since the crash was a statement the day after the crash in which he said “there aren’t words to describe the sadness I feel about the accident that took the life of Kevin Ward Jr.”
Ward had climbed from his car after it had spun while racing for position with Stewart. The 20-year-old walked down onto the racing surface waving his arms in an apparent attempt to confront Stewart.
Authorities said the first car to pass Ward had to swerve to miss hitting him. The front of Stewart’s car then appeared to clear Ward, but Ward was struck by the right rear tire and hurtled through the air. He died of blunt force trauma.
Stewart will return with a decision pending on whether he will be charged in Ward’s death. Ontario County Sheriff Philip Povero has said investigators did not have any evidence to support criminal intent by Stewart. Povero said Thursday the investigation is still ongoing.
Meanwhile, the 43-year-old NASCAR superstar will move forward with his career and attempt to salvage his season.
NASCAR released a statement saying that Stewart was eligible to return because he “has received all necessary clearances required to return to all racing activities.” NASCAR said it would have no further comment until President Mike Helton speaks Friday afternoon.
Stewart, who has 48 career Cup wins in 542 starts, is one of the biggest stars in the garage. His peers have been protective of him as questions emerged in the aftermath of the crash, and it pained them that Stewart was grieving in private and had cut off communication with so many of them. He will talk to the media for the first time since the fatal crash on Friday.
NASCAR rules state a driver must attempt to either qualify or race the car in every points-paying event to be eligible for Chase for the Sprint Cup championship, unless a waiver is granted. There was no immediate word if NASCAR would grant that waiver.
Since Ward’s death, NASCAR has announced a rule that prohibits drivers from exiting from a crashed or disabled vehicle unless it is on fire until safety personnel arrive. Last week, Denny Hamlin crashed while leading at Bristol and stayed in his car until safety personnel arrived.
But Hamlin then exited his vehicle and angrily tossed a safety device at Kevin Harvick as he passed by moments later. He was not penalized.
GOUVERNEUR — A 54-year-old Rensselaer Falls man has died following a fall Monday at Gardenscape Quarry, 164 Seavey Road, according to state police.
Investigators said Thursday that they received a report of the death of Glenn F. Dibble at approximately 6 a.m. Tuesday.
State police have determined that there were no signs of foul play.
Troopers said Mr. Dibble was working at the quarry at about 3:15 p.m. Monday when he entered a storage building to obtain wooden planks from the rafters.
He climbed onto pallets to reach the rafters, lost his balance and fell approximately 10 feet, landing on his head and neck. None of the other workers witnessed the accident, troopers said.
His body was located Tuesday morning when plant workers arrived for their shifts.
St. Lawrence County Coroner Kevin Crosby responded to the scene that day and ordered the removal of his body to Claxton-Hepburn Medical Center, Ogdensburg.
An autopsy performed Tuesday, by Dr. Samuel A. Livingstone determined that the cause of death was a laceration of the spinal cord at the atlanto-occipital joint in conjunction with a C2 fracture, all due to blunt force trauma.
Mr. Crosby ruled the manner of death to be accidental.
CLAYTON — Route 12 between Woodard and Hart roads in the town was reopened at 11:55 a.m. Thursday, about an hour after the road was closed due to a motor vehicle accident.
No further details were immediately available.