WATERTOWN — A shack deep in the woods off Ridge Road was destroyed in an explosion Thursday night, as crews struggled to get to the site of the fire.
The fire at the makeshift shack, about 20 feet by 20 feet in size, at 25778 Ridge Road was reported about 7 p.m.
No injuries were reported, according to first responders at the scene.
The shack was about 800 feet from the tree line, causing some challenges for firefighters trying to get water to the scene.
However, by 7:30, firefighters relayed that the fire was limited to ground level, and had not spread to nearby trees.
Peter T. Conklin, a neighbor, said he heard a couple of explosions from his home. He said two men, each about in his mid-20s, told him they had left a light on in the shed, overheating an electronic generator that set off propane tanks at the site.
Crews from the town of Watertown, Rutland and Tylersville fire departments responded to the scene, along with Jefferson County sheriff’s deputies and state police.