Northern New York Newspapers
Watertown
Ogdensburg
Massena-Potsdam
Lowville
Carthage
Malone
NNY Business
NNY Living
NNY Ads
Wed., Sep. 17
ADVERTISE SUBSCRIBE
Serving the communities of Jefferson, St. Lawrence and Lewis counties, New York
In print daily. Online always.
Related Stories

Lowville woman suffers burns as her hair catches on fire from lighting a cigarette

ARTICLE OPTIONS
A A
print this article
e-mail this article

LOWVILLE — A Lowville woman was airlifted to a Syracuse hospital with burns after she accidentally set her hair and clothing on fire while trying to light a cigarette.

Village police and firefighters at 11:30 a.m. responded to a report of a fire at the Bateman Apartments on South State Street and found that Janel Shaw, 33, a resident in Apt. 208, had caught her hair and clothing on fire, but that another resident, Margaret Maschke, 61, had heard her calls for help and was able to extinguish the flames, according to police.

Ms. Shaw suffered second- and third-degree burns to her head, chest, abdomen and extremities, along with some burning to her airway, police said. She was taken by Lewis County Search and Rescue to Lewis County General Hospital, then taken by helicopter to Upstate Medical University, Syracuse. She initially was listed in serious condition.

There was minor fire and smoke damage to the interior of Ms. Shaw’s apartment, police said.

Connect with Us
WDT News FeedsWDT on FacebookWDT on TwitterWDT on InstagramWDT for iOS: iPad, iPhone, and iPod touchWDT for Android
Showcase of Homes
Showcase of Homes