EDWARDS A fire destroyed a four-unit building of Edwards Senior Court Apartments at 16 Trout Lake St. on Saturday morning.
Edwards Fire Chief Richard B. Thornton said no one was injured, but the building was a total loss.
He said the cause of the fire was electrical. St. Lawrence County Fire Investigator W. Joseph Lacks said a night light plugged into the wall between units C and D likely is to blame.
Mr. Lacks said the fire shot up the wall and into the attic, which lacked firewalls. If the building had been equipped with firewalls in the ceilings, the horizontal spread of the fire would have been slowed, likely reducing the fires damage, Mr. Lacks said.
Joining Edwards Fire Department and Gouverneur Rescue Squad on the scene were the Hermon, Russell, Fine and Harrisville fire departments.
Chief Thornton said the fire took three hours to put out. One woman received medical attention at the scene for precautionary reasons, but otherwise no one was injured. Mr. Lacks said a cat died in the blaze.
He commended the work of the firefighters, as well as the caretakers at the apartment complex.
All the people involved did well, he said.
The five residents of the building are staying temporarily with family and friends, he said. Mr. Lacks said a few of the residents also were being assisted by the Red Cross, as he said none of the tenants had insurance on their belongings inside the apartments.
The property, owned by United Helpers Management Co. Inc., was insured.