A small barn on County Route 16 in the town of Pamelia was damaged by a fire on Tuesday morning.
Numerous area volunteer fire departments battled the blaze that began at 11:18 a.m. at 25494 County Route 16, near Pamelia Four Corners, at a barn owned by Paul R. Shepherd Jr.
Jefferson County Fire Investigator Jeffrey M. Van Brocklin said the fire was accidental, caused by improper disposal of burning wood chips from a boiler.
It took firefighters about an hour to extinguish the fire. No injuries were reported. Some animals were inside the building when the blaze ignited, but they were able to escape, said Northpole Fire Chief Joseph A. Wargo.
With their station just down the road, Pamelia firefighters arrived first to the scene to see flames coming out of the roof and buildings sides.
A Jefferson County dispatcher said several calls were received about the fire.
Mr. Van Brocklin described the damage as somewhat minor, but said Mr. Shepherd planned to tear down the barn. Mr. Van Brocklin said the barn was not insured.
A north wind contained the blaze to one end of the barn, preventing its spread to other sections of the structure, Chief Wargo said. However, it was difficult to get water to the scene because the barn is located far from the road and behind a residence, he said.
Water had to be trucked in from the Pamelia fire station and put into a pool at the scene before it was transported to the waiting pump trucks.
Brownville, Calcium, town of Watertown, Theresa and Glen Park fire departments also responded.