Fire and ice didnt deter firefighters battling a blaze in the city Wednesday evening.
Ogdensburg fire and rescue crews responded to the fire at 1023 Mechanic Street shortly before 5 p.m.
The fire started after homeowner Patrick Cousino attempted to thaw his pipes using a handheld torch, Ogdensburg Asst. Fire Chief Kenneth J. Stull said.
Although Mr. Stull said thawing pipes with a torch is common, he strongly discouraged it.
The open flame caused some of the paper backing in the insulation in the ceiling to catch fire, and it spread through a crawl space and into the eaves of the house, he said.
A portion of Mechanic Street was closed off while firefighters sawed open the roof toward the back of the two-story house to locate the source of the fire.
We ventilated the roof and that enabled the interior firefighters to find the crawl space, Mr. Stull said.
Ice on the ground posed a few problems to firefighters as they and ladders slipped on the frozen ground, Mr. Stull said.
One firefighter fell, was injured and treated on scene.
He is already back to work, Mr. Stull said.
There were no injuries among the residents. Two people who were in the building at the time of the fire, got out safely, Mr. Stull said.
There was minor damage between the quick response and the property owner who was able to point us in the direction of the fire and we were able to minimize the damage.