TUPPER LAKE A village house received extensive damage in a fire Thursday evening.
Carl F. Steffen, chief of the Tupper Lake Fire Department, said the fire at 8 4th St. started at about 7 p.m. in the homes basement, and spread to the second floor.
When crews arrived, they saw heavy smoke coming from the house and flames shooting out of the kitchen windows. Nobody was inside at the time, and no injuries were reported.
Mr. Steffen said the basement and first floor sustained major damage, and the second floor had some smoke and heat damage.
He said an investigation by Franklin County officials indicated an electrical malfunction as the possible cause.
Also responding were Parishville, Saranac Lake, Paul Smiths-Gabriels and Long Lakes fire crews, county emergency officials and Tupper Lake police and rescue personnel.