$PHOTOCREDIT_ON$watertown daily times$PHOTOCREDIT_OFF$
A groundbreaking ceremony was held April 17, 1969, for a plant for the Faichney Instrument Division of Chesebrough-Pond Inc. on Bauer Drive Extension, east of Interstate 81 between Arsenal and Coffeen streets. With shovels, from left: Perry Lindholm, vice president-manufacturing for Chesebrough-Pond; Carl J. Fuccella, Faichney manager; Clinton W. Marsh, City Planning Board chairman; Robert W. Farquhar, contractor; Mayor Theodore Rand, and Jack Allen, of Chesebrough-Ponds hospital division. Looking on, from left: Councilman Steve D. Alteri; Dale C. Coon, development consultant; Daniel F. Morrissette, Chesebrough-Pond engineer; Harold Galloway and Ernest F. David, labor union agents; councilmen Karl R. Burns and Charles W. Hayes, and John Doldo Jr., land broker. Faichney, a manufacturer of clinical thermometers, existed under various names in Watertown since 1888, when it originated as the Glass Thermometry Co. It changed hands several times, becoming Faichney Instrument Co. in 1920 and Chesebrough-Pond Inc. in 1966. More recently, the plant was owned by Tyco Healthcare/Kendall and later Covidien. Covidien closed in 2009.