OGDENSBURG Some flowers are better left alone.
In the case of wild parsnip, the failure to keep away could come with serious consequences – a lesson two children recently found out the hard way.
Amanda M. Wells of Ogdensburg said her children, Mackinley, 2, and Jayce, 4, went outside to pick flowers for their grandmother July 21 when they came into contact with the sap of wild parsnip flowers.
Within 24 hours, a serious rash developed and blisters soon followed, Ms. Wells said.
They like to pick flowers, and thats the coolest looking one, she said.
A member of the same family of plants as Queen Annes Lace, wild parsnip can grow to be 6 feet tall and sprouts bright yellow flowers that cover fields and ditches alongside the road.
It was the natural beauty of the plant that drew the Wells children to it, and by the time they were done collecting the flowers, their hands were covered in sap.
The sap alone wont do much harm, said Kitty A. ONeil, regional field crops and soil specialist at Cornell Cooperative Extension of St. Lawrence County. The problem is that it doesnt hurt right away, Ms. ONeil said.
Its chemicals within the sap that make the skin extra sensitive to sunlight, causing the rashes and blisters to develop.
In the case of the Wells children, they played outside all day with the sap on their hands, Ms. Wells said. On Monday, they woke up with rashes; on Tuesday, they had blisters, she said.
And the rashes remain sensitive to sunlight for months after the initial contact, she said.
According to a release by Cornell Cooperative Extension, being exposed to sunlight can make the rash and blisters worse, and even after the rash clears, the skin can remain sensitive for several years.
Its a lot worse than poison ivy, Ms. Wells said.
Jayce had contact with the sap only on his hands, Ms. Wells said, but Mackinley spread it to her face.
It shouldnt have to happen to anybody, she said.
The plant is relatively new to the north country, Ms. ONeil said. An invasive species native to Europe and Asia, its become a much more prevalent plant in the last several years, she said.
Its the prevalence and unfamiliarity with the plant that are causing problems.
Ms. Wells said she had never heard of the plant until her children came into contact with it last weekend. Now she is spreading the word. Anyone who comes into contact with the plant can avoid more serious problems if they wash the sap off quickly, she said.
Ms. ONeil said if you discover it in your yard, you should wear gloves when youre snipping it, and be safe; wash your hands and arms and face.