Northern New York Newspapers
Watertown
Ogdensburg
Massena-Potsdam
Lowville
Carthage
Malone
NNY Business
NNY Living
NNY Ads
Wed., Sep. 17
ADVERTISE SUBSCRIBE
Serving the communities of Jefferson, St. Lawrence and Lewis counties, New York
In print daily. Online always.
Related Stories

Firefighters contain grease fire at Watson meat market

ARTICLE OPTIONS
A A
print this article
e-mail this article

WATSON — A Thursday morning grease fire at Miller’s Meat Market was contained to the smokehouse room in its venison-processing facility.

“There was no damage to the building,” Lowville Fire Chief Timothy N. Bush said. “Everything is back as it should be.”

Lowville firefighters at 9:11 a.m. were called to the 6525 Number Four Road market for the report of a grease fire in the machine used to smoke meats.

A worker, Jared Martin, initially tried to put out the blaze with a fire extinguisher and was taken by Lewis County Search and Rescue to Lewis County General Hospital, Lowville, for treatment of smoke inhalation, according to a release from Lewis County Fire Coordinator James M. Martin. “It got too big for him,” Mr. Bush said.

Firefighters were able to put out the fire with extinguishers, then used large fans to the clear the building of smoke.

There was some smoke and dry-chemical damage to the roughly 10-by-12-foot smokehouse room, Mr. Bush said.

Miller’s adjacent meat and grocery store was not affected by the blaze.

In February, a different portion of the processing building caught fire after a stove that was not normally in use was turned on accidentally, igniting some debris on it. Firefighters also were able to limit that blaze to minimal damage.

Connect with Us
WDT News FeedsWDT on FacebookWDT on TwitterWDT on InstagramWDT for iOS: iPad, iPhone, and iPod touchWDT for Android
Showcase of Homes
Showcase of Homes