RENSSELAER FALLS A house at 227 Stevenson Road was heavily damaged by a chimney fire Saturday afternoon.
Flames and smoke poured through a hole in the metal roof of the wooden house owned by Daniel Thurman, who lives there with his wife, Brenda. Mr. Thurman was not home when the fire broke out shortly before 4 p.m., and there were no injuries.
The fire was discovered by Mr. Thurmans niece, who visited the house and noticed the smoke.
A fire in a wood-burning stove caused heat from a faulty chimney to ignite nearby rafters in the attic, according to W. Joseph Lacks, St. Lawrence County fire investigator.
Firefighters from Rensselaer Falls, DeKalb Junction, Hermon and Richville and St. Lawrence County Emergency Services responded to the scene.
Some firefighters used demolition saws to cut holes in the walls and roof to vent the heat, while others donned masks and went inside to battle the blaze and save what they could, handing items out to Mr. Thurmans relatives who stood outside.
Paramedics waited with oxygen to treat firefighters for smoke inhalation.
Mr. Thurman arrived at the scene as firefighters were close to putting out the fire. The blaze was extinguished at 6:49 p.m.
The house sustained heavy smoke and water damage, especially the attic where the fire started. The house will be unlivable until it is repaired, but the structure was saved.