An overheated wood stove was blamed for a fire that extensively damaged a home on Route 3 overnight Friday.
Owners Larry and Eva Gutierrez were asleep when they heard popping noises shortly after 2 a.m., so they went to investigate.
They found smoke filling up the home at 27010 Route 3, Black River Fire Chief Matthew P. Carpenter said.
The couple escaped unharmed but their home is uninhabitable. Firefighters from Black River, city of Watertown, Felts Mills and Fort Drum got the blaze under control in about an hour, the fire chief said.
The guys made a great hit, he said, especially since the fire got caught up in the attic.
The American Red Cross was called to the scene, but the owners stayed down the road with relatives, Chief Carpenter said.