CHAUMONT Lyme Central School District voters approved an $875,800 roof replacement project Tuesday.
The vote was 107-46.
The project will replace sections of the school buildings roof in areas that are beginning to fail, district officials said, including roofs covering the gymnasium, the original wing of the building and a few other places.
District Superintendent Karen M. Donahue said Lyme Central is hoping to wrap up the work as soon as this fall.
Were just so grateful that people could come out to vote and support this project, she said Tuesday night.
State building aid will cover approximately 68 percent of the projects total cost, but the remaining 32 percent or approximately $280,000 will be levied and paid back over the next 16 years.
In a letter to district residents, Mrs. Donahue said some of the areas are at least 20 years old and in dire need of replacement due to dry rot and leaks.
The board is very sensitive to the financial burden of our taxpayers and has traditionally replaced sections of the roof as they wore out or were beyond repair, she said, adding that roofing was replaced in other sections of the building during the 2010 capital construction project.
Lymes 2010 project came with a $4 million price tag and mainly addressed a variety of issues plaguing the aging district building including poor ventilation, flooding, sanitation and heating problems as well as field and parking lot improvements.