Two fires on Sunday were both caused by hot ashes, according to the Watertown Fire Department.
A fire in the garage at the Valerie J. Boyle residence, 750 Knickerbocker Drive, prompted the dispatch of city fire units and police. Among the responding officers was Officer Mark A. Lamica, who, using two extinguishers, helped keep the blaze down before fire units arrived, according to the Fire Department and Police Chief Gary R. Comins.
Hot ashes in a container set fire to combustible materials, according to the Fire Department, and flames spread to a Toyota, causing damage to a portion of the vehicle. There also was some structural damage to the garage, which is insured.
Hot ashes caused another blaze about 1:35 p.m. at the William ONeill residence, 710 Morrison St. Dumped in the driveway, the ashes ignited an old tire, and flames spread to a rear section of the house where renovations were being conducted, according to the Fire Department.
Flames moved upward, forcing firefighters to remove roof boards and some metal.
The house is not insured, according to the Fire Department.